Gluten-free Tasty Keto Friendly Meat loaf recipe
Comforting and filling Keto-friendly Meatloaf Recipe
What could be more comforting and filling than this tasty gluten-free keto-friendly meatloaf? This classic dish has had a keto makeover to make it healthier and keto-friendly, but I promise you, it tastes just as good as the original! This keto-friendly meatloaf is gluten-free and makes a great family meal or is ideal for if you have guests come over.
Most people have memories of meatloaf growing up but unfortunately many of the recipes resulted in a dry and bland loaf. However, this version couldn’t be more different – it’s moist, packed with flavour and would make a great, filling meal, minus the carbs.
The key ingredient to making this meatloaf moist is definitely the mushrooms. Mushrooms have a high water content and release even more moisture as they cook. However, we don’t want this meatloaf to be ‘wet’, which is why the mushrooms need to be cooked before they’re added to the meat. Don’t skip this step.
It’s also important to let this keto meatloaf sit before cutting and serving it otherwise the juices will escape and leave it dry and tasteless.
The addition of bacon is a little cheeky but it adds a wonderful smokey taste to the meatloaf. There is some debate over whether bacon is healthy and if should be part of keto diet at all. My advice is to consume it in moderation. Keep it for special meals rather than a weekly dinner and always go for pastured, organic bacon. The supermarket bought versions are full of nasty chemicals and sugars that should be avoided at all costs.
This meatloaf is packed with flavour and makes a great meal for dinner. It’s also super filling and will curb those cravings.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
Ingredients for this Gluten-free Keto-friendly meatloaf
- 450g of grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tbsp of organic avocado oil or beef-fat
- 2 tbsp of organic chia seeds
- 200g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp or 2 tbsp of organic onion powder or 1 fresh onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp or 2 tbsp of garlic powder or few cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 tbsp of dried rosemary (or 2 tbsp of fresh, chopped rosemary)
- 1 or 2 tbsp of organic dried basil (or fresh basil)
- 1 or 2 tbsp of dried thyme (or fresh)
- Himalayan Salt to taste
- Organic Black ground pepper to taste
- 12 slices of organic and sugar-free bacon
- fresh parsley
- Optional essential oils: try marinating your meat with some therapeutic essential oils such as rosemary, ginger, Curcuma and basil. Disinfecting the meat, kill harmful bugs while adding amazing flavour to your dish.
- Optional herb: add some organic Garam Masala… it is one of my favourite herbs that brings soul to your food!
- Note: only use therapeutic food-grade essential oils.
Method for this Gluten-free Keto friendly meatloaf
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350F/180C
- Mix the chia seeds with some water and leave aside
- In a pan, heat the avocado oil or beef-fat and fry the onion (in case you use fresh) and the chopped mushrooms until they are caramelised and the moisture has completely left them.
- Once cooked thoroughly, place them on a paper towel and leave to cool
- In a large bowl, mix the mushrooms, ground beef, rosemary, thyme, basil, onion and garlic powder
- Then add the chia seed mixture and season with Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- Line a small loaf tin with parchment paper and line the base with the strips of bacon. They should comfortably overlap each other.
- Add the beef mixture to the tin and press down so it’s as compact as possible.
- Bake for 50 minutes and then leave to cool for ten minutes before serving.
- Add parsley and enjoy!
Ingredient Spotlight: Mushrooms
Although technically fungi, mushrooms are usually categorised as a vegetable. Either way they are very good for you and their low carb content makes it ideal for the keto diet.
They are also low in calorie and high in fibre and potassium. In fact, one cup of raw mushrooms contains just 15 calories and 2.3g of carbs. They’re also packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B5 and B3, phosphorus and iron.
Finally, there are lots of health benefits linked to mushrooms. Most notably, they contain high levels of antioxidant compounds that could help prevent some cancers.
Empowering others via my anti-ageing wellness platform and holistic health books
I hope you liked this easy Keto-friendly meatloaf recipe. If you would like to learn more about holistic living and clean beauty lifestyle, ensure to check out other pages of this anti-ageing wellness platform.
I changed the way I eat in 2011 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue and adrenal fatigue, conditions where the thyroid is affected. I had no energy, was exhausted, desperate, and my weight had sky-rocketed.
Because of that, I decided to ditch sugars, processed foods, grains, dairy and toxic chemicals. And step-by-step, I introduced a whole-foods-based (first Paleo) and later an AIP (autoimmune protocol) friendly ketogenic approach to food which gave me my life, vitality, happiness and energy back!
Now, through my holistic wellness books and anti-ageing health platform, I want to empower people around the world do the same and regain their health, hair, life, vitality and beauty!